Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Unit 69 - Influential Ideals and Concepts.

Through the course of the project I have developed Batman further and taken him into a context which was different from his usual heroic self. Batman has long been one of my more favoured heroes, simply because he doesn't rely on powers but on wit, strength and deception. But in a more conceptual focus, Batman provides a great essence to take pitch from, the character itself is beautifully designed, providing a great interface for any super hero to be based upon.

It is often I take inspiration from this character when developing my own, and I chose Batman as my character to develop simply, because he is so well designed, the idea, the concept and the understanding behind Batman, as well as the costume and way he is pressed across is a great backbone for any Anti-Hero character to follow.

Batman to begin with started off as a rather happy, cheerful and charismatic individual, which often could be seen in a rather comical sense and didn't show any essence of the darker side of today. He was rather scrawny and used a lot of gadgets and repellents to help him fight, oh.. and his boy wonder Robin. Of course, let us compare him to the Batman of today, you can see that he is a rather darker and more bulky in muscularity and demeanour. Nothing like the Batman from the early days, with this Batman is also a lot more like Marvel Hero Punisher, with a darker and leaner context within him.

Through this development I think that is the more interpretation of Batman that I influenced my character design and through the research of Batman I discovered the traits that signify the character depict a lot about him. Such as a passive attitude, a willingness to save other people, a dark persona and appearance, the ability to fight, seems to be rather intelligent individual, likes to use a range of gadgets in order to accomplish the task.

From this I have taken many aspects, such as his passive and rather dark attitude, and his ability to fight with my version of Batman. I have placed him in a large trench coat, which is something that is more common from the Hero Punisher, which is something I have taken many aspects from. I have also taken into account that I wanted my character to be in the World War 2 era as opposed to the normal fictional modern city of Gotham which is applied to the original Batman.

At first I was going to select a noir style, common in the Batman series "Gotham Noir" and which is more traditional in the old 30s type concepts. But seeing as mine was at the same time as old, it was rather conceptual on the basis that it was very action orientated, rather than detective and it seemed rather rustic and post apocolyptic as opposed to city based, Sherlock Holmes/Dick Tracey styled themes. With this in mind I decided to go with a more colourful, modern based theme and try to relate it to the common Batman comic styles.

The layout I chose was rather similar to a comic layout, I tried to keep the border lines relatively thin, and attempted to allow enough room for it to be overflowed to try to keep a molded concept, where it seems to interact between frames which is something that seems to be quite common in todays comic books, in trying to create not just frames of art, but a whole page of artistic concepts.

Target Audience is something I had to take into consideration, while I believe that the old Batman most likely attracted the younger generation at the time, the modern Batman of today seems to peak interest of people of all ages, I decided that I wanted to take Batman from this kind of area and place him in a more adult sector, which is familar with such concepts as die hard, punisher, kill bill even in some concepts of violence. As I made Batman more violent in this concept, I have to take into considerations age ranges, for this I reccomend 16+ at least, as I have taken quite a violent, war based concept with my new design.














No comments:

Post a Comment