Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unit 78 - LO4 - Iphone Application Evaluation



This is the end product for my Iphone applications. The end product matches what I tended to do, and I believe the application icons are consistent and fit in with the tended audience I was trying to aim for.The end product suits well and the icons fit and are similar and consistent. They remind me of the Adobe Icons in that they have a different image but still remain linked to the person who created them.

This project has been a long one, we began with researching icons and looking into apple. I researched many different icons and took influence from many companies such as Adobe, Apple, Autodesk and a few of the applications that are created for the iPhone device. By researching this I was able to get a feel and understanding for the products I wished to create and began to develop and sketch my ideas onto paper. I created 5 concept sheets, of which one was for a 3D model I made, and wanted to use it in my final application.

The concept sheets I created that where used to develop my icon ideas where, Horror, War, Sci-Fi, Fantasy. I choose one from each sheet, including my 3D model and used that to further develop my designs. I choose the space diamond, the army man, the skull and the knight.

My next task was to develop them in photoshop and bring my design to life, I scanned in my chosen designs after redrawing them onto one large concept sheet and then began to scan them into photoshop and develop them, recording the process as a went along, the final production of which looked like the following:


This was my fantasy Icon, I went for a knight which I believe strongly represents the fantasy theme and works in correlation to a lot of fantasy based media. It is also famous due to King Arthur and the Knights of the round table and this is often put into process with it.  Out of all the 5 icons this is by far my most favourite. I used a lot of colours and lighting techniques here, and tried experimenting with shading in with photoshop.


This is my horror application icon, for this I went with the skull because I think it represents a horror based theme and works well with the background theme I have selected for it. For this design I made use of the bevel and contour tools and made the surface smooth. I applied a shading technique to the icon design and played around with the lighting in order to optimise a decent outcome from the overall product.



This is my Sci-Fi icon. For this I wanted to create something that represented a robotic entity, but to keep away from the common sci-fi elements, such as a space ships and robots, in order to go for something a little more abtract in my approach. I like what I did with this design, because I was able to make use of numerous concepts within photoshop, mostly the pen tool in which I use to draw around the design, and used two different base colours in order to create a form of shading. For the large yellow area I used an inner shadow for to create the indented effect which I think worked really well with this overall design. 


This design, although is not my favourite is definetly the hardest to create. Like the previous designs I used the pen tool in order to create the shapes I wanted. Each element, the eyes, eyebrows, nose, mouth, helmet was created to impliciting put together the pieces afterwards like a jigsaw. It didn't come out quite how I wanted it to but in the end, I think it works I used Bevel with a smooth and high depth modifier in order to get the helmet looking somewhat 3D. One thing I did realise about this design and although it was not my intial intention was that it looks very much like a paper cutout, which I suppose can be thought of as a plus. After all most ideas come from mistakes. 


My final icon, this icon makes use of the 3D space ship I designed for my Unit 66 LO3. For this icon I just took my intial 3D model and palced it right into the image. I do like how the 3D comes right out on this one, and the colours and shadowing uses to proves to build upon the original desing intention. Overall I think it looks professional, well put together and I am just as proud of this one as my other icons, even if really it required less work to put together.









No comments:

Post a Comment