Thursday, October 14, 2010

Desktop Project - Font Choices

As a part of my desktop design projectm I was required to compile and select a group of fonts. I choose many different fonts that believed filled the role well. I choose many Script based font faces and a couple Sci-Fi/Game based font types. I am going to address and dicuss the final three choices that I believed will work well with my font face. I will then discuss the final choice and why compared to the others that I choose that font type.


Neutronium

This font type is particular interesting due to its both hybrid
ability to look a little scripture and at the same time game orientated. By
game orientated I am referring to how it makes itself appear rather
modern and futuristic. The advantages of this type of font is the ability for it
to be textured and effects applied to it in Photoshop. This particular font type gets a rating for 4.2 out of 5.

DeLarge

This font reminds be particularly of games. Especially the old arcade type games.
This font fits in well with the digital media course/ games development that I am taking and would
probably work well in the media rooms.

Although it is rather easy to read it still has a rather blocky element to it. It is not particularly fitting to my design and because of this, I will give it a rating of 3.2 out of 5.


Sloe Gin Rickey

This font reminds me a lot of the old harley davidson motorbikes. The reason I choose this font is because of the uniqueness and interesting boldness it implies.
Although it would fit in even less with my design as the DeLarge it was still the
most readable one there and shows a much better flow than the one above.

Because of this I will rate this design at 4 out of 5.

The Winning Font:

The Winning Font face is going to be Neutronium. It provides the elegance but at
the same time the game orientation which is incredibly useful to my design. I will be using this design
over the others because of this facet.

What this font has compared to the others is a nice readable font, aswell as ease of editing
within Photoshop. It also has a more elegant feel than the other ones and while DeLarge has a more
game interfacem Neutronium has a more sci-fi and less over the edge game appearance.



No comments:

Post a Comment