Tuesday, January 31, 2012

[COS WOT] Graphics


Compilation of Team Game Logos.

Today we discussed the logos for the graphics of our game. It was vital that we developed and design a piece to represent our game, and to be used in splash screens, which help to define these elements.  Four out of the five team members successfully created a game graphic, Curtis Stoyles didn't create one, due to an issue with his copy of photoshop which crashed, therefore rendering him unable to generate his own logo.


I will first disucss my design before moving onto how we chose the general graphic and then what the chosen graphic was, and the point made to improve it and the others. For reference mine was the chosen graphic, and we was to apply the rock of michaels graphic into mine, and combine image selections.

 Understanding that storyline, I knew our inspiration was games like Tomb Raider, Amnesia and Uncharted, taking a look at there logos, of which I have included below in one compilation for reference.


As you can see the game logos here are generally very basic and simple, with a general style applied to there text. This the sort of standard I was aiming for, not because it is simple overall as a design, but because the simplicity in itself allows us to apply the image to a numner of other products, therefore increasing portability. 

I wanted something that looked good on box art, that could be applied in numerous locations, and the inspriation from our products allowed us this.  I could place any format under Chronicles of Saltaire Header, just as Uncharted has, to represent any sequel of the game of the same element.

Joey also noted how well it would look on box art, a simple design always help to sell a product, with a catching but simple, not to overfaced, can help promote our product successfully in the long run.


The Production


The development of the logo was a simple and not to dudious process, with a few years of Photoshop behind me, I was comfortable in setting up my environment.  Taking inspiriation from the likes of Prince of Persia logo, I decided adding a simple line along the bottom, and giving it a large stroke, wasn't beneficial. Like the Prince of Persia logo, I wanted to have the effect of sand, well, in our case, liquid, relating to the Wine. I applied a smuge effect tot he line, to give it the effect of liquid, duplicating it, and bringing it together, with a small opacity to create a better effect of overlapping, flowing liquid.

Example of the Prince of Persia Logo




No comments:

Post a Comment