Thursday, January 5, 2012

Planning for my 3D Environment

During this week we began to generate our environment planning, by taking the photos of the areas we where our design idea is based. I took the images from the central plaza of the Salt Building. (See image below) and used them  them as a reference for my central design, in evaluating each image however, I decided to use the one that had a more symmterical and central point of reference.


The reason this image was best used to reference the artistic idealism I had, is simple. As you can see from this image there is a two point line of perspective. Both lines stretch from the corners of the image to the central window pane. Because the image is primarily symmetrical, it possesses the concept to apply a central area to design. I also chose this particular area to model due to the basis that it is a central and intriguing point inside the college itself and central to our trailer storyline.

Fine Liner Design (Black and White)


This particular design was unfinished, and I found it difficult to truly grasp of the concept of simiplicity which slowed me down in my design. However, we spent around, one hour sketching the simple concept behind the image.  I placed in numerous structure points to help organise my image and keep it central and accurate to the design I had. I did find this difficult as trying to replicate something accurately is a very difficult concept to apply.

I also placed into directional notation to help me to understand what direction light would be travelling and where it was likely to be reflected, when it comes to designing the scene in 3DS Max. For example, an Omni light for the lamp  lights stationed next to the central staircase.

I used the structural lines and directions I set to help me organise and plan the environment accurately, so applying it to a 3D scene would be easier.

I added more detail into the scene after the intial sketch in the next hour, using a fine liner pen to apply shading techniques, such as cross-hatching, and line shading, to add depth and 3D to the scene. It also allowed me to simulate light in the scene, which can be applied via the use of shader techniques in 3D software.

The concept behind which we applied was to draw the scene as basic as we could, like lego, applying the building blocks as we progresses, building upon one another, bit by bit, until we was left with something that represented a skeleton  like set of primitives that defined the environments shape and gesture.

Using simple techniques like cross-hatching, squggly lines to represent certain areas, to quickly define a large location. And small lines to represent bricks, helped me to create a detailed but quick sketch of the location.




No comments:

Post a Comment