Thursday, September 16, 2010

3D Models and Plans from Mass Effect

Mass Effect created by BioWare is a massive 3D RPG. It incorporates alot of visulization into it's games aswell as VFX and the like, the most interesting and by far breath taking thing about Mass Effect is the 3D models. I have chosen one in particular I found to be simplistic but at the same time, interesting.

The Normandy is the ship the player spends quite some time aboard. I found this intial sketch from google that shows in quite details the level and different segments that is involved with the ship. I would see this though as a general design and something a developer may pass onto the modeller for them to try and create. I found this render to be rather simplistic but effect. It had a nice streamline look and really gave me as a viewer a more interesting feed into the world I was entering.


http://3d.dtuts.com/3d-tutorials/creating-normandy-sr1-in-3ds-max/




I found this untextured model aswell from google. This shows the rendered model after it was created. So far no textures have been created onto the model, but can get the general idea. If you look at the above sketch and then to this you can see how the author has used the different segments involved in the sketch and used this to create the model. Also on how close it is to the sketch which means that the model was based on the above sketch.


The above link also had an awesome set of images and explanation reguarding the creation of the normandy based upon that image. I will place a few of the images below as reference. All this images stem from the same link above the sketch design.



I found this image interesting as it shows the basic creation of the Normandy. Using the sketch images as a blueprint for the design.  This shows the basic building of the skeletal structure of the model.



Above is the first finished segement of the model. Before of course any texture is added to it. You can see from the image above it that is has been extruded out and made into more of a smoother shape rather than keeping the static polygon shape it had before. 



I like the above image as it shows how it is building off of the general design behind it. Rather like builders build off the blueprints of a house. This is interesting to look at and gives me a more in depth look at the way models for games are created.

Finally the finished product will look something like this.I found the end result to be breath taking and really enjoyed reading through the little tutorial on how this is built.






No comments:

Post a Comment